To upgrade your PrestaShop store to a new version, follow these general steps:
- Backup your existing store: Before performing any upgrade, it’s crucial to create a backup of your PrestaShop files and database. This ensures that you can revert back to your previous version in case something goes wrong during the upgrade process.
- Review system requirements: Check the system requirements for the new version of PrestaShop. Verify that your server meets the necessary criteria, including PHP version, database compatibility, and server configurations.
- Download the new version: Visit the official PrestaShop website or the PrestaShop GitHub repository to download the latest version of the software. Ensure that you download the correct package for your specific version upgrade (e.g., if you’re upgrading from 1.7.7 to 1.7.8, download the 1.7.8 package).
- Disable non-native modules and themes: If you have third-party modules or themes installed, make sure to disable them before proceeding with the upgrade. Some modules or themes may not be compatible with the new version and could cause issues during or after the upgrade.
- Upload and extract files: Upload the new version of PrestaShop to your server using FTP or a file manager provided by your hosting provider. Extract the files in the desired directory, replacing the old PrestaShop files.
- Run the upgrade process: Access your PrestaShop store via a web browser. If the upgrade script does not automatically start, visit the “yourdomain.com/install” URL to trigger the upgrade process manually. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the upgrade.
- Re-enable modules and themes: After the upgrade is complete, re-enable the modules and themes that were disabled in step 4. Check for any compatibility issues or updates for these modules/themes, and apply any necessary updates.
- Test your store: Thoroughly test your upgraded PrestaShop store to ensure that everything is functioning correctly. Check various pages, features, and functionalities to verify that they are working as expected.
Remember, upgrading PrestaShop is a significant process that can impact your store’s functionality. It’s essential to have a backup, carefully follow the instructions provided by PrestaShop, and consider consulting with a developer or technical expert if you’re unsure about any steps in the upgrade process.